Tommy took his first 4 steps last Sunday (a week ago), walking to his Bumpa. We (Shad, his family and I) were all so thrilled and excited that we erupted into cheering and clapping, startling the little guy into tears. We toned it down to soft claps and cheers, and Tommy enjoyed that better and clapped with us. So Shad and I decided it was time to dig out some shoes for Tommy. When we went on our walk Monday, we put shoes on Tommy and held his hands to help him walk for the first block. He thought it was pretty awesome that he was wearing shoes and actually walking with us on our walk, but after a block (which is a LONG distance for such a little person), he got tired and sat down. We transferred him to his stroller and he asked to go see Nana. He was so excited to show off his cool big boy shoes and walking skills...though he didn't take any steps on his own all week until last night at their house again.
Tuesday night, Tommy really wanted to wear his shoes. So we helped him into them.
He kept lifting up his legs to check out the new shoe on his foot.
Then he took his shoe off to inspect it, and then beat it against his foot in an attempt to put it back on. He's a funny kid.
We've had a low-key week as far as our walking goes. It's been driving me nuts! My belly was really achy for a few days, and my right knee was giving me grief too, so I decided it was best to take it easy. I've discovered that 1) carrying Tommy around has been a cause of my belly aching (no pun intended), and 2) sitting around trying to let my body rest drives me nuts. I feel so useless and pent up. My tailbone area has also been achy and I've done a little bit of yoga to help just that one area...but that little bit of yoga has only increased my desire to do my full DVD program, but I don't think my knee is ready to handle that yet. Ugh!!
I got a couple books at the library last week...and returned them both this week hardly used, if used at all. One was Jeff Shaara's Gods and Generals. I tried to crack that open one day, but really just didn't feel like reading it. Dad, disgustingly enough, that's the only Shaara book on our library shelves. I feel like every time I go to the library I end up leaving, shaking my head at how lacking it is. There are no travel books. They don't have The Crucible, or ANY book about the Salem witch trials, in fact. The Shakespeare section has only ONE book in it that is actually Shakespeare's plays--as opposed to scholars' analyses of his work. You wanna see what that ONE book looked like? Here it is:
It's the other book I returned. It's the full anthology of Shakespeare's plays. I did read a little in it. I tried to read Two Gentlemen of Verona, but honestly, it's just not one of Shakespeare's finer pieces of art. Aside from that, it's really hard to want to sit down and curl up with a book when the book is a monstrosity like that. Thus, it had to go back.
I think our only other bit of excitement this week was Shad getting a jury duty notice in the mail on Monday...from Arapahoe County. The funniest thing about that is that they didn't even send the notice to the last address we lived at in Denver and registered as voters. They sent it to our Greensview address. So that was Shad's main project this week--making sure that he got himself exempted from that so there wouldn't be a warrant out for his arrest for standing them up. Fun.
The aloe vera plant I got for Shad's birthday last year died on Thursday. Cause of death: over watering and an out-grown pot? Not really sure, but those are our theories. It was sad and unexpected; we really liked our funky plant.
We took an updated family picture this week. I've been wanting to get a picture with all of us (growing belly included). It didn't turn out too well, but here it is anyway. There are a few things that should help it work better for another try: not standing in so much sunlight, not using my phone as the camera, and not taking the picture after we get hot and sweaty on a late afternoon walk.
Well, time to get on with life...and making dinner.
No comments:
Post a Comment