Wednesday morning started out with extra discomfort in my pelvic area. Just feeling extra weight and pressure, and having an extra waddle in my step. The kids and I went to a prenatal appointment. Katie loves to go to the "Doctor, doctor!" Dr. McKinley asked when I wanted to have this baby. I told him that she'd come when she's ready, but ideally, 4 days ago. Sundance's timing was better than my own, though.
We continued our day normally by going to visit Shad at work for lunch. I'll admit I exercised some self-restraint when he said, "Well, that's good!" after I told him how uncomfortable I was. Tommy had to pee while we were there. Shad's coworkers were all impressed.
I spent the rest of the afternoon sitting in our recliner. I didn't want to go out walking without someone with me. Light cramps started around 5:30 in the evening. We all went out for a walk after dinner around 7, with light contractions occurring by then. We stopped by the movie theater to pick up a couple of popcorn cups for the kids to snack on while we finished walking. They love getting movie popcorn, and they love Jeremy for getting it for them.
We decided to go to Paul and Mallory's house around 8:30 to pick up their exercise ball, because I've used one at the hospital for the other two births and wanted to stay at home as long as possible this time. On the way to their house, something popped into place in my pelvis mid contraction and suddenly intensity seriously increased. We ended up hanging out with Paul and Mallory until 11:30, when we left to go to the hospital. We brought the kids' bag and my hospital bag just in case such a situation would happen. They admitted me without question when they checked me and found me to be 6 cm dilated and obviously having frequent contractions. And because my labor was progressing so quickly (thanks to Mallory's raspberry leaf tea:), they wouldn't let me sit in the tub for fear I'd give birth there. That was a sad thing. I missed my tub soak. It makes it so much easier to relax during the process. But regardless, 3 hours after heading to the hospital, Sundance Victoria Kendell was born at 2:29 am on Thursday, May 23, 2013. She was 6 lbs 10 oz, 18.5 inches long.
The kids were jealous when my nurse brought in my afternoon snack, so Shad took them to the vending machine. They were so happy to sit in their chairs with their very own bag of chips.
We left the hospital at 7 that night. No need to stay for another night of uncomfortable beds at hourly nurse disturbances. Tom and Katie were elated to have Sundance in their house,though it still took some explaining that it was okay for them to go to bed because she'd still be here in the morning.
A couple things to note about Dancy's timing in entering the world:
1. She came with perfect timing for Shad. He took a paid day off for Thursday, simply said he couldn't work the overtime on Friday, and Natoma had already decided to not work overtime on Saturday. And Monday is off, too. So Shad is home until Tuesday.
2. She was born on Shad's grandpa's birthday. The grandpa who passed away 9 months ago, just before Dancy was conceived.
AND for those who are interested in knowing the origin of her name, I looked it up because I didn't know entirely myself. We were inspired by Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, but I didn't know where Sundance got his name. He was 15 years old when he got arrested for stealing a horse in Sundance, Wyoming, and thus was called Sundance Kid. Sundance, Wyoming is so named for the Native American sun dances.








No comments:
Post a Comment