Thursday, August 8, 2013

When a Boy Turns Three

July was such a busy month that we hardly had time to celebrate Tommy's birthday, so we did it piece by piece throughout the whole month.  All the elements were there, just not at the same time.  He had an ice cream cone at Grandma's, and a brownie with a candle in it.  The day of his birthday was not only a Wednesday (meaning Shad had to go to Phillipsburg for youth activities in the evening), but it was our week to clean the church, and that night was the only night we had available to do it. My aunt Suzanne and her family had just arrived at our house the night before to spend the night on their way east on a summer road trip. So after I helped get them on the road, I had to do something special for lunch. We were already wearing birthday hats, so I packed us in the van and we picked up lunch from McDonald's drive-thru, got Shad some Dairy Queen, then hit Dollar General for Tom to pick out a birthday dessert and candles.  We had a picnic lunch with Shad at work.

With dessert first.




I didn't even have time to wrap his presents.  He finally got those a couple weeks later.  He got The Incredibles and jumbo lego blocks.  We had a family dinner movie night to watch The Incredibles. He loved it, naturally.  To my knowledge, this boy has never heard jazz music before.  All of the score music for the movie is jazz style, and during the credits, he started dancing.  Oh, my goodness, was I impressed!

We also took him to the movie theater again for Despicable Me 2.  I gave up on trying to plan him a party, which turned out to be a good thing.  All of the friends we were going to invite were out of town on the day I had picked! He loved all of the birthday mail that he got, and Katie was jealous.

We went to the Mexican restaurant one night. Mostly it was because we were painting our kitchen and dining room, and not because of Tom's birthday. Katie took one of my tortillas, bit a hole in the middle, and gave it back to me.


Since it was close enough, we them it was Tom's birthday.  They come and sing Happy Birthday to you in Spanish, put a hat on your head and smash a napkin filled with whipped cream into your face.  And you get free sopapillas. We weren't sure if they'd still cream a 3-year-old, but they did!  I think the guy on the left is getting his phone ready to take a picture, and the guy on the right has the cream.


And they laughed along with us as Tom cried:)


Tom doesn't like to be messy.


Mexico wishes you a happy birthday, kid.



And then he slowly got over it as he got to eat sopapillas.  He does think it's funny now.


And Katie got to try on the hat.



And then I finally got to make him a cake.  He kept talking about how I was going to make his green happy birthday cake, so I decided to make it a monster.  I forgot the horns, but Tom didn't care. 


Tom and Katie thought it was cool that they got to lick the frosting off the candles.


The cake was orange creamsicle flavored.  I needed to test out the flavor for Steven and Melissa's wedding to see if it was good.  It passed the test.  While I was decorating, I had problems with the frosting being too soft.  It was warm in the house and I thought it was just because i had used the oven. Then we saw the thermostat...and that we had left the step ladder out in front of it.  It was 86 degrees inside!  But, having done the cake, Tommy's 3 week long birthday celebration was finally over.  We love our boy and all that he is!


No comments:

Post a Comment