Thursday, May 14, 2015

Hunting Wascawy Wabbits

I've got a new hobby. I call it Defending My Garden. Screw Peter Cottontail and all his buddies who ate my cauliflower, and are working their way through my broccoli and cabbage too. And what's worse: they're wasteful. Stupid rabbits can't even be decent enough to finish eating their cabbage leaves; they just leave them scattered about the garden, and I didn't even disturb them!

Well, Shad and I took one down earlier this week, only we weren't very good at it since it was our rookie kill. This time I was much more efficient (two shots), so I kept him for the meat. I chopped the head off myself, then my neighbor Joe showed me how to skin and gut it. Sadly, Joe did not know I intended to keep the pelt, and he tossed it. 





And then when I was cleaning the meat at my hose tap, bugs kept flying into me. I was so excited when I saw that they were June bugs, I ran inside for a canning jar and collected about 30. Andrew Zimmern on Bizarre Foods successfully got Shad and I itching to eat these superfood bugs, so I'm thrilled that their season has started. I'll keep the jar in the freezer so that we can continuously add to it, then fry them up when we have enough. Feeling pretty accomplished for a night!

No comments:

Post a Comment