Sunday, August 5, 2018

Tommy's birthday!

The day before Tommy's birthday, he asked me if I was excited for his birthday. I told him no, birthdays are stressful to me because there's so much I have to remember and if I forget something, kids are disappointed and act like I ruined everything. Turns out, I had forgotten that I established a new birthday breakfast tradition on Dancy's birthday of doing IHOP-style pancakes with strawberries, whipped cream, syrup, and sprinkles. I didn't have strawberries, so I had to run out to the store. Then when I was getting into bed, I remembered the whipped cream. Shad went to King Soopers before work the next morning and brought me back spray whipped cream so it wouldn't have to thaw. Pancakes happened as expected, but we're modifying the birthday traditions for the future to relieve my pressure and let me enjoy things, too.

After breakfast, we played Just Dance with videos on youtube for over an hour. Got good an exhausted right before Shad came home from work early to take Tommy out to lunch.

Cow Appreciation Day was on Tommy's birthday this year, so we all dressed up and picked up our lunch to take home and eat. This was the first time we've been able to participate!

Everyone enjoyed being cows and mooing. Dancy is the Statue of Moooverty.




The place was packed and I was starting to think maybe it wasn't such a good idea to do this with Shad, who stresses out in such situations, but then when he realized we got all of our food for $3, he was sold.


{Katie, Thora, me, Samson, Tommy, Shad, Dancy}


We had a pretty low-key rest of the day, just let Tommy call the shots on what he wanted to do. I was wiped out from all of the earlier birthday activities, so I told Tommy we were changing his dinner plans. He could have his Pigs in a Blanket dinner that has me in the kitchen making crepes for an hour the day after his birthday, but we were ordering pizza. He understood the next day when he saw how much work it is for me to make Pigs in a Blanket. I explained that I don't mind doing it, but that I was just too worn out to do it on his birthday.

We had chocolate pie for Tommy's dessert. This is me clamping Sam's mouth so he doesn't blow the candles out.

No comments:

Post a Comment