Sunday, July 3, 2011

Heat Wave

We've been desperately trying not to melt for the past week. We've had temperatures in the high 90s, with Wednesday and Thursday being 1o6 and 110. THAT was disgusting. We were lucky to get our Young Women's garage sale done a week ago Saturday before the real heat kicked in. Our friends from church, Karin and Marcus, came over after the garage sale for dinner and games and spent the night because they live an hour away. We invited Sarah and Matthew over too. They just didn't spend the night because they don't live as far. Karin and Sarah are both pregnant with girls and due in August and September, respectively. Then I'm due in November with who knows what flavor baby, and there's another lady in the ward due in January. This is just entirely a new experience for this ward that gets excited if ONE person is pregnant. Our mother's lounge won't even fit more than 2 chairs. We'll see how interesting it gets in 6 months.

Tommy went through either a growth spurt or a teething period last week. Friday the 24th he went to bed at 6:00. That's a normal time for him to take a nap, so we didn't question him when he asked to go to bed. Then he just never woke up. We kept checking to make sure he was breathing. When I left the house at 6:45 the next morning, he was still sleeping without a sound. Shad said Tommy slept all day, waking up every 2 hours to eat and go back to sleep. He went to bed at 6:00 that night as well, but woke up at 11 with a fever. Gave him medicine, a snack and water and he went back to bed. His fever returned in the morning and was gone in the afternoon. No new teeth cut through gums, so who knows.

I love watching Tommy grow up. Tuesday he started making those lip spit sounds. He used them appropriately in context Wednesday morning. Shad asked him if he was getting sleepy and ready for a nap and Tommy replied with two deliberate lip spits. We took that as a definitive "no." But he was ready 10 minutes after that. And Thursday night we were in the basement watching a movie when Tommy let me know he was ready for bed. He didn't even wait for me to get up off the couch before he took off crawling to go upstairs. It's been fun watching Shad and Tommy play this week. Shad has a certain sound that he makes before he starts chasing after Tommy and Tommy just goes WILD when he hears it! Shad will crawl around the floor and chase Tommy all over the room and when Tommy gives up, he'll just roll over onto his back with arms and feet up to try and protect himself from tickles. They are so funny together.

Yesterday we had rain and refreshing 70-80 degree weather. I abandoned my house cleaning and baking projects and did yard work instead. I pruned the large flowering bush by our porch and discovered that there's a rosebush growing underneath and next to it. I hate rose bushes. There's one growing in front of my kitchen window and I've been wanting to get rid of it, but have been prioritizing the inside of my house over the outside. When Tommy woke up from his nap, we went over to Shad's parents' house to weed our garden and borrow pruning sheers.

Our garden has been completely over grown with weeds to the point that I haven't really been able to weed until now when the weeds and vegetables have become distinguishable. Half the plants growing in that plot of dirt are now gone, and there's still more to weed out. I also got to harvest a mass of radishes. Tommy and I went back home when Shad got home from a ward service project and I worked on cutting out the rose bushes. In the evening we went out for our walk and heard the stock races down at the track. We decided to walk over and enjoy the free seats' view. Tommy loved it. He heard the engines and started his motorcycle lip sounds.

Well, I'm boring myself reading this, so I'll wrap up. We borrowed the game Shadows Over Camelot from Matthew and it is a really fun multi-player game. We've played it several times this week and are borrowing it for another week.

No comments:

Post a Comment