Friday, July 29, 2016

Colorado Trip

My brain can hardly think of what to write right now. This is why I should blog sooner after things, rather than a month and a half later, but it just hasn't worked out for me.

So...some time ago I went to Colorado with the kids. Me and 5 kids. For a week. Seems like the story of my summer this year. That's how it is right now (okay, Pris is helping me while Shad is gone and it's wonderful and I couldn't imagine if she weren't here, but still just not the same) and maybe that's why I feel so unenthusiastic about writing right now. I did want to write until I actually started doing it! Anyway, I stayed at Becky's house and she was a great help to me with my 5 humans when she was around. Lisa was also there for a few days and Thora adopted her as a buddy.

On Monday, Tommy went to my brother Jake's place to play video games with him and my nephews Erik and Bode. Lisa took Katie and Dancy for a girls' date. Katie reported that they went to "the nearest green store" (aka Walgreen's) to buy glitter eye shadow and lipstick. They did makeovers with their new makeup and Lisa's nail polish, then went off to see Finding Dory. Becky and I went thrift shopping with Thora and Samson. Thora loves realizing that she's the only kid running around with me. She had a blast. Samson looked studly in the fedora Becky found for him. But I did not buy it.


Then we went to Panera to meet Mr. McKinney for lunch. He was my high school math teacher for pre-calculus and calculus. I think Becky had him for pre-calc. It was fun catching up with him. Babies look good on him, but he doesn't have grandbabies yet.



All of my siblings came over to Becky's house that night. Lori and Tommy wanted to take pictures for Ruth.



Then we went to Jumpoline down the street. Tommy and Katie look forward to this at every Colorado visit. Dancy is starting to remember it. Thora got to experience it for the first time and loved it. Lori and Jen weren't jumping, so I let them have Samson duty and got to jump myself. At the end I tried jumping with him and he loved it.


Note the colored steps on the side. Thora climbed herself to the top, was so proud of herself, and then lost balance and toppled to the bottom. She wasn't too happy after that.


Katie cleaned Becky's house every morning after she left. Sweeping, vacuuming, wiping down the counters, dusting the window seat, wiping the blinds. 




Becky commented that she didn't think her house was that dirty. I told her it's not--this is just what Katie does. We got these scripture books called Who's Your Hero, and most recently a girls' edition. So it features women from scriptures (Eve, Rebekah, Esther, Sariah, Abish, etc.) and then after telling their stories it discusses how YOU can be like them. All of Katie's new cleaning motivation comes from wanting to be like Rebekah--she served happily and went beyond what was asked of her. Tommy and Katie also excitedly connected that to Teancum, who goes beyond expectations.

Recall that I said Thora buddied up with Lisa. Thora hardly ever let me touch her hair, but readily ran to Lisa for brushing and styling.




My girls are still working on remembering Lisa's name. She's the forgotten aunt. They love her, love hanging out with her, love the princess underwear she gives them, but for the life of them, they can't remember her name.
They call me Help!
They call me Stacey
They call me Her
They call me Jane
That's not my name
That's not my name
That's not my name
That's not my name

No comments:

Post a Comment