Sunday, October 29, 2017

Grandma's Museum

I don't even remember when this was anymore. It might've been in June. That makes the most sense to me.

Anyway, on one of our visits to Colorado 3 months in a row, we went to Grandma's Museuem, aka, The Denver Museum of Nature and Science. Samson started with a good, hearty breakfast of leftover salmon.


It's so yummy!


While we were in Space Odyssey, we got to see an astronaut demo. He told us about the Mars landscape, the rovers and such things, and the atmosphere, or lack thereof. He explained that if the surface temperature is around 50 degrees, then at his waist it might be around 15 degrees, and at his head it might be -20 degrees. Something like that. Big drops as you get farther away from the surface! He also said to never stop asking questions.


There it is. "Never stop asking questions."


We did not pay extra to go to the Vikings exhibit. Things like that are best enjoyed without temperamental little ones. But we pretended to be fierce warriors.


There was a huge Lego Viking display! Viking raiders returning home to the farmlands of Sweden.


I love the shields. And the change in water color.




The tagline for the exhibit was "Because 'Really Good Farmers' earned them no respect."


The village lodge.


I love the alternate use for the flower stems.


These trees are gorgeous! And the texture and dimensions. In case you can't tell, I really liked this display.


Thora was upset about everything all day: Grandma and I wouldn't carry her; she had to sit in the stroller because she refused to walk; the penguin looked at her wrong; we took the Viking picture; I said she could have a cookie if she ate 2 apple slices.


Playing in Kid Zone cleared that alllll up!


Some museum workers put on a circus. They said they hadn't done it before and wanted to see how it would go. It was a hit for all the kids who participated!


Katie dressed as a butterfly for the circus.


Samson couldn't get enough of the water. He tried a few other things, but mostly got his clothes good and saturated. Thank goodness for air dryers!




We must have left Kid Zone some time around 3:00 pm. Samson fell asleep before we even made it to the doors to leave the museum! We cranked some souvenir pennies for Tommy, Katie, and Dancy, who collect them, then looked around the gift shop before finally leaving. Samson stayed passed out the whole time.


* * *

And since this post is revisiting June, I need to add that Jimmy came to babysit the kids one Friday to let Shad and I get away for 24 hours. (Katie was upset that he wasn't Ruth's boyfriend Coltyn.) It was wonderful! We got to talk, eat, play Frisbee golf, go to a Magic draft night, and just breathe without a million kid interruptions. The last time we got away overnight was when Dancy was a baby. So...3.5 years ago. And before that, never. And when we got back, Jimmy's report was, "I don't know why I was here. These kids could have taken care of themselves." He was pleasantly surprised at how our kids maintain their good behavior even when Mom and Dad aren't around. They rock like that!

No comments:

Post a Comment