I feel like I don't really have much to say about our lives lately. We exist...and we like it...and each other...I just don't know what else to say about it. We enjoyed our Christmas and the day after (Shad had a paid holiday). The missionaries spontaneously spent Christmas Eve with us. They came over to give Shad something (oh, have I mentioned that Shad is the ward mission leader? Not sure if I did or not.) and we invited them to stay for games and dinner with us, since they didn't have any plans. BY THE WAY Elder Riha got transferred a week ago Thursday and I'm soooooooooooooo happy. Nobody likes to babysit an adult. Anyway, we're spending more time with the missionaries now. Elder Nelson and Elder Jarrell were with us last night. Ruth and Levi came over after dinner to join us for games.
Shad is enjoying his new quality assurance position so much. He comes home so happy every day. It's a less stressful job, and he doesn't feel like he has to strip off clothes and wash his hands before he picks up Tom because he's covered in metal dust.
Tommy loves going over to "the other Kendells'" house and asks for it quite frequently. He usually has a particular person in mind that he wants to play with, whether it be "NaaaaNuh," (Nana) "Bapa," (Bumpa) "Ebi," (Levi) or "Bufie," (Ruthie). Ruth is thrilled that Tommy is finally saying her name. Poor kid seems to just be teething all the time. He's got four top front teeth, two bottom front teeth and two top molars (not all the way through yet). He's a trooper. He's also entered the phase of "anything you can do I can do better. I can do anything better than you!" Here's a little bit of it:
Twice he's copied my habit of drinking the milk out of the bowl after the cereal is gone. Here he's trying to get the last couple drops after the rest poured all over him and his tray.
He's perfected his method for getting in and out of Katie's swing, so that he no longer falls on his face.
Heck, he can even do Liberty's job better than her. Shad wrapped the boy up in my Moby wrap for fun, then realized he had created the Statue of Liberty. He grabbed a book and a flashlight and the look was complete. Tommy held that book and flashlight so well! He had tons of fun waving the flashlight around, then after a brief photo shoot, we turned off the lights and he shrieked with delight...for about 5 minutes.

Tommy is also developing more language skills. Not sure which language, exactly, but we'll figure it out soon. He's starting to copy words we say, generally only when he has a vested interest in it. He says "beh" for bread, "uh" for hug, "nla" for Mulan. "Nla" is an interesting one...the "n" is pronounced with the tongue on the roof of the mouth behind the teeth, but hummed in the throat. The "la" is tricky to get right. It's pronounced with a soft click of the tongue on the bottom of the mouth. I'm still trying to say it the way he does. Oh! And he's started speaking German. He's quite adept at the "ch" pronunciation. He sounds like Sylvester the cat from Loonie Toons when he says "this." If we don't get this corrected soon, we may just move to Germany. It won't be a speech impediment there:)

Miss Katie is just getting all sorts of big...for a little person, that is. She is now 8 lbs and 19.5 inches tall. We got rid of her Apnea monitor Thursday before Christmas. Oh, we had a party! It's so fun to be able to carry her around wherever and to play with her and not get tangled in cords. She can hold her head up well and is starting to smile and coo. She has some strong, little thighs and stands up a lot. We moved her out of Tommy's room a while ago so that she can cry herself to sleep without waking him up at night. She sleeps sooo much better when she cries herself to sleep. She generally sleeps from 10-4 most nights, and then shorter periods after her 4 o'clock feeding. She, like Tommy did, sleeps best with her face covered.

I'm enjoying reading Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. It's trippy, but a nice change in mood after reading Macbeth and Hamlet back to back. I'm happy to say that in review of my 2011 resolutions, I did pretty well. 1) I did get into a good habit for a while of daily scriptures, prayer and journaling...which got a bit disrupted with Katie's arrival. Gotta get back to that journal. 2) I made a baby. 3) I did really good exercising 5 days a week...when it wasn't too hot or too cold. 4) I read the Sunday School and Relief Society lessons. 6) For the first time in my life, I got into a habit of not procrastinating homework. 7) We were really good at being on time to church. For some reason we had a hard time with that in 2010. 8) I learned about the raw foods diet. It's not for me. 9) I met my neighbors. I'm still working out my resolutions for this year. They'll be finalized in the next couple days.
No comments:
Post a Comment