Thursday, October 18, 2012

Bugs, Bugs, Bugs!

It's October, and in Kansas, that means box elder bugs.  At every possible junction between the indoor and outdoor world.  The garage door.
 
.
 
Garage door threshold.

 
More garage.

 
Basement window.

 
Porch.

 
Front door.

 
By, under and on the swing...and Tom's toys.

 
And the other side of the porch, with rice-filled sandbox.

 
I spent half an hour vacuuming the porch and I couple hours later, you couldn't really tell.  The wind has been helping blow away or kill them.
 
Yesterday was one of our insanely windy days, and Tom saw the wind out the window and asked if we could go out to the garden.  So we picked some pumpkins.  All summer I've noticed these yellow beetles that look like ladybugs all over the garden.  But they decided to build a hotel in this pumpkin.  Tom helped me evict them.  We gave the pumpkin a bath in the sink.  Boy, was drowning good influence in coaxing the little buggers out.  But then they didn't drown, and they began climbing the sides of the sink and trying to fly away.  So we put some vinegar in an empty can and scooped the bugs out of the water with spoons.  I suppose just draining the sink and turning on the disposal would've been faster, but Tom and I had fun.  I was surprised to see the vinegar also not killing the bugs.  So after we harvested them all, I put the can on the stove and turned the heat on.  It only took a couple of seconds and I didn't even get to see it because I got distracted making a phone call.
 
And then there's this little bug.  I just love her!  She cut her first tooth tonight!  So grown up:)

 
Here's some videos we caught of her today.
 
After breakfast: http://youtu.be/2JAw_tpUesM
 
 
 
Tom loved watching them and kept asking, "More vac Kaie?"

No comments:

Post a Comment