The week before Katie's birthday, a package arrived from Grandma with clothes for Katie. In that box was a pink tutu hand picked by Lori, who is determined that her niece needs a tutu. However, Tom was being a bit unruly one night when Shad's family was here visiting, and Shad felt that the best solution would be to make Tom wear it.
We celebrated Katie's birthday on Saturday afternoon/evening while Shad's family was around. We went to the lake, but I forgot my camera, so there's no documentation of that. We went simple with dessert because I felt like enjoying company rather than spending time baking and decorating. Tom picked out Little Debbie Cosmic Brownies from Dollar General. He was so happy that he got to pick a treat for Katie's birthday. After the lake, we came home and opened presents. Tom clapped and cheered for Katie as she got to put some birthday money in her piggy bank. That's such an exciting thing for both of them!
Then Katie got to open her present from Mom and Dad.
It was a kitchen set that we picked up at a garage sale and were going to save it til Christmas, but decided why waste two months of play? There was also a little plush pig from Ruth on the kitchen set when Katie opened it, but Tom quickly threw it to the ground because it didn't belong. It's on the floor by Katie's hand in the picture. They've realized that it can still be fun with the kitchen set...with luaus in mind. They bake it in the oven!
And then we sang Happy Birthday. http://youtu.be/LUAA1zefTec
Then Katie pulled the tutu over her head herself and spent the evening crawling around like this.
Fast forward to the night of Katie's birthday (Oct 24) and Dan and Ryan called us on Skype. During the call, a train whistle sounded outside and Tom was so overcome with excitement between Dan on the computer and a train, that he started doing these gymnastic/acrobatic/break dance moves on the floor. He wouldn't repeat it for the camera in video mode, of course, so this picture will have to suffice. He'd get into position like this and then flip over his head. We've never seen it before and we've never seen it since.
I made Katie's birthday cake two days after her birthday...finally. We were going over to our friends' house for dinner and games and they asked me to bring dessert. Perfect. Well, this was a bit of a cake wreck/fail on my part. I was inspired by this picture:
which looks awesome, right? But I turned the computer off before I looked at it again, so I decorated from memory. The result still makes me laugh! Sorry Katie, but we were late as it was and so I was in a hurry and didn't care too much:) Besides, I had spent the whole day in the kitchen--cooked a stockpot of soup and canned 7 quarts of it, roasted a pumpkin, baked the brownies, roasted and burned the pumpkin seeds, and decorated the brownies...however poorly.
We sang Happy Birthday to Katie again (only once this time), and she had help from the 2 and 3-year-olds in blowing out the candle.
She didn't need any help eating her brownies though.
Relatively clean, compared to Tom's first birthday. At least she didn't need hosed off in the backyard!
Katie eating her brownie and telling me all about it:

No comments:
Post a Comment