Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Good Vibrations

Well I'm 4 months pregnant today!  Other than the ailments of fatigue and nausea (which are, thankfully, done and over with), I've had chronic headaches and tension in my brow, no matter how I try to relax and massage it.  It gets quite wearying and draining by the end of the day.  But with the fatigue and sickness out of the way, I'm finally back up to energy levels that allow me to catch up on laundry, can 7 quarts of Manhattan Clam Salmon Chowder, and try to keep up on dishes and cleaning.  I've also been able to get whatever little in store Christmas shopping done that I need to.

We went to Destination Kitchen last week, which is one of Tom's favorite stores in town.  He wasn't feeling ready to eat lunch when I wanted us to (it was the usual time), but when I told him that we could go to "The Kitchen Store" after lunch, he jumped right on board.  I've never seen him eat a PB&J sandwich so fast before.  Or so messily.  His mess is usually contained to just his mouth, but the speed eating had it all over his hands, sleeves, shirt, and face.  Lovely laundry.  But there's a kid's kitchen set there with cool toys (all of it wooden) and a metal shopping cart, and Tom just loves to cook.  He's ALWAYS cooking.  So he had me and Katie sit at the tables in the front of the store while he cooked at the back and brought stuff up to serve us.  After he'd been gone for a while, he finally came around the corner with an oven mitt on his hand, carrying a cookie tray with velcro cookies and frosting all laid out.  Wish I had gotten a picture, but since aprons and oven mitts are already on my list for Christmas sewing, that's something I'll see a lot more often in just a week.

My bobbin winder tire got worn out last week and needed to be replaced.  Bad timing with all the sewing I'm doing and needing to wind bobbins!  And no big surprise, but the sewing store in town doesn't carry any basic replacement parts, and the repair guy is only in once a month.  Still disappointing.  Ebay proved to be a shining light for me, though.  I found a 4 pack for $6 with free shipping and it was here in less than a week.  In fact, it was supposed to arrive today, but arrived on Thursday or Friday last week.  Same story with the fabric I ordered from Fabric.com (the store in town doesn't carry knit fabrics; they're primarily a quilting store).  Love that!  So I'm extremely behind on my sewing list, but am hoping to get caught up during naptime today.  I've already sewn 2 aprons (gifts for friends) and Katie's hooded towel.  I can't list everything, because somethings are surprises, but I sure have my work cut out for me and need to get things speeded up.

We went to Shad's work Christmas party on Friday night, and it was enjoyable.  Which is more than we can say for last year.  Last year they had really loud music playing so that it was hard to hold conversations, the food was undercooked due to the oversized portions, and even though there was a separate smoking section at the front, you still had to walk in and out of it, and the smoke drifted into the non-smoking room.  This year was at a different venue with no indoor smoking.  They only played 1 song and had quiet the rest of the time.  They food was fantastic and cooked all the way through.  On top of that, they compensated all the mandatory overtime with nice bonus checks, and gift cards won through games.  We won a $30 gas card, and a light up snowman and angel.  Tom and Katie were delighted with those, which made up for any hard feelings for being left behind.  Our friends, Paul and Mallory, babysat them.  Tom had a great time.  Katie got tired around 8:30 and grabbed her coat, went to the door and started crying, saying, "Door.  Mom! Bye bye!"  Apparently her crying included a little "buh buh buh buh buh!" blubbering, which Mallory felt really bad for laughing at, but couldn't help herself!  They were so happy to see us come in the door--Tom cried out, "Dad! You're back!!  Oh, Mom! You're back, too!"  Both kids were more excited to see Shad than me, because between him working overtime that day and their naps, they only saw him for an hour before we had to leave them.

Sunday we Skyped with Shad's parents, and Katie had trouble with them not being on the computer anymore.  So we had to call other people.  We called my dad and she happily talked to him for several minutes before it was bedtime.  She had a hard time with bedtime that night.  We went to console her an hour later when she was still crying.  She had been hinting all week at wanting to move into Tom's old crib, but that night (at 10 pm!) she practically begged.  So we moved her over.  Our big girl is in a big crib now and done with the pack-n-play.  Now I can get that ready for May!

Did you know how awesome my boy is?  He's so awesome that when I only had to heels of bread left last week for his PB&J, he not only ate it, but still thought it was the best thing in the world.  I love him!

Some more glimpses into the language of Tom: he has developed a shorthand for one of his favorite phrases.  "DOWN!"  It's usually preceded by a heavy sigh, or click of the tongue, and is short for "just calm down, please."  I hear it all day long, and most the time I don't need to calm down.  He just didn't like what I told him.  A week ago, I told him that Nana and Bumpa are coming in two weeks.  He understood that I meant it would be a while before they came, but he replied, "Mom, just ony one week."  When he thinks we're going so fast in the mini van, he says, "Lightning McQueen Niny-seven! So fast!"  But oddly enough, that only happens in residential streets and not on the highway.  There's a clip in the movie, The Emporer's New Groove, where the Emporer busts open a door and says, "Boom, baby!"  So when Tom comes in the house from being gone, he says, "Boom, baby!  I'm back!"  We heard that last night when we were all coming in from the van and he was the last one through the door.  When I came back in with a second load, he told me to say it.  We also hear, "Eh eh eh!" a lot, which is what we say when the kids are doing something they shouldn't.  So Tom says that to us and Katie.  He can be quite bossy.  A year ago, if you asked what Tom wanted to be when he grows up, I'd have said a dentist.  He was constantly checking my teeth and poking at my tongue.  However, right now I'd have to say that he aspires to be a policeman.  He sure does a good job of policing Katie, and most of it is rightfully so.

What do a two-year-old and one-year-old want to do most in the world when they wake up from their afternoon nap?  Why, sit on the washing machine after Mom has just started a load, of course!  At least, that was the desire yesterday.  They sat on the machine for the whole running time of the load.  We ate snack and then I washed dishes.  They just sat there and enjoyed the vibrations.

No comments:

Post a Comment