Ugh, I'm still frustrated trying to figure out the problem with uploading pictures. The storage site, that I was unaware I am using, is full and yet I can't delete anything because it won't load the album. Great. Maybe I'll just have to go back to writing without pictures and sending the pictures via Shutterfly. At least I know how to do that without spending hours trying to find a solution.
After our delightful post-Thanksgiving vomit virus, Tom went straight into a cold. Shad and I caught that and were rendered useless for a weekend. I think we went through a whole kleenex box while we camped out on the couch. We finally started getting over it about a week ago. I remember how excited I was when my ears started unpopping on Thursday. Katie, lucky thing that she is, managed to escape both sicknesses. She cut a second tooth during the Thanksgiving week, so her nose stopped running, but then it started again around the time we caught the colds. It's still dripping, so I'm thinking she's got another tooth working through. Good for her, because she's 13 months old and has 2 bottom teeth. Still, that doesn't hold her back from eating everything she possibly can. Other than grape jelly and tomatoes, I can't think of a thing she's refused to eat. She can't manage raw or still crisp veggies, but eats everything else.
We're going through with our refinance, though it's not actually saving any money on our monthly payment. We are cutting out 3.5 years, though, so shortly after Tom turns 12, we'll have our house paid off! Eat that, economy!
Tom and Katie are best friends. Tom is including Katie more and more in his play. He's realized that it's okay for her to play in with the kitchen set at the same time as him, under the premise that I told him she's cooking dinner for him. He thinks that's so nice of her. He also cooks for her in return. Yesterday morning while I was doing some Christmas shopping online, Tom had Katie shrieking in delight as he chased her around the living room, roaring at her. Every now and then she'd fall down because she was laughing so hard, and then she'd laugh more because she fell! Katie is a tease and knows when she's being funny. She'll find things that make Tom laugh, and keep it up as long as he's laughing and telling me that, "Mom, Katie being funny!"
Katie likes to play dress up. She'll find shirts of mine or Shad's and bring them to us so she can wear them. Her face just lights up and we tell her she's so pretty. It's funny to watch her try and walk while wearing a shirt that goes down past her feet. She manages, though. On Sunday after church, a lady told me that I'm going to have to keep my eye on this girl because she's just going to be so beautiful when she grows up. The lady and a couple others who overheard were surprised and laughed when I told them that Katie already flirts with the missionaries. She even favors Elder Evans over Elder Leavitt.
Yesterday, the kids and I braved the cold wind and walked down to the thrift store to pick up some things I need for Christmas sewing projects. Everyone in the store complimented me on my well-behaved kids. The two of them just walked around the store (it's very small) doing their own looking around while I did mine. Several people told me how well Tom talks and the things that he said to them (he's only shy when he chooses to be). One man, who was an elementary school teacher, (he was funny--he said he only chose that major because that's where all the girls were in college) told me that he sincerely hopes to run into me another time in town because my kids are just so wonderful.
Oh, the funny things Tom says and does! I told him once after leaving a lunch visit with Shad at work, that Dad had to go back to work to get some money for us. Tom understood that very well and said, "Oh, fank you Dad! Get it some money!" Now I hear relatively often, "Mom, Tom go back work Natoma. Get it some money." A conversation that occurs about 30 times a day (word for word, with occasional slight variations) is, "Mom okay?" "Yes, Tom, I'm okay. Are you okay?" "No, I'm happy! Mom, yers a pretty girl!" "Thanks, Tom! You're a handsome boy." Last week while I was miserable on the couch because my head would throb everytime I stood up, Katie got something from a kitchen drawer that we're trying to teach her to stay out of. Ever the policeman, Tom snatched it right from her hand, put it back, then scolded her, saying, "Katie! Dats not fer yers!" He often says, "Oh, ESSEWENT! Good i-de-a" (Thumbs up included). Boom Bang is a game that Tom plays all the time. It's inspired by a martial arts video game of Shad's, and executed Tom-style, which means that Boom Bang looks like running circles around a room and crashing into things and people; wrestling; and sword fighting. Tom likes to fake burp after drinking, so he made sure to do that during the sacrament on Sunday. He at least knows to say, "Scue me," afterwards. Yesterday, while I was washing our dishes from breakfast, first lunch and second lunch, Katie was fussing in her high chair. Tom told her, "Katie, no crying! Just eat sandwich, please!" He was patiently waiting for her to finish so we could go on a walk, and she was exhausted, given that it was 2:30. She fell asleep in her chair.
Oh, and one more I almost forgot! Last week we were leaving a store and saw a woman walking down the sidewalk. She was wearing a long, dark trench coat and a striped scarf. Tom got excited and exclaimed, "Oh, wea Hay Poer!" The woman and I were both confused, and Tom was insistant that I understand what he was saying. I figured out that he said, "Wear Harry Potter." He thought the woman was wearing a Harry Potter costume! Totally made my day! I explained it to the lady; she understood the logic and thought it was funny too.
Now for Katie's language. Ruth asked me last week about Katie talking and so I started a list of things she says. It started small, but then just kept growing as I'd remember more things or she'd learn new words. Here's her vocabulary as I know it now: hi, bye, more, bed, hat, head, baby, water bottle, coat, jacket, apple, banana, cracker, chocolate, book, I love you, aiyaaaa (the karate sound effect), mama, dada, bumpa, nana, cup, bowl, ball, dog, woof, car, vroom vroom vroom, hammer, boo, pray, amen, blue bunny (her beloved toy), light, tree, diaper, deer, elk, cat (there are trophies on the wall at the hunting and sport store). She signs eat, but doesn't say it yet. On Saturday, she said diaper to Shad, then ran to the diaper corner to have her diaper changed. We were so excited for her! She also very clearly asked me to "call Grandpa." We did, and she held up her end of the conversation. She knows baby to mean baby, but I think she's confused about the whole pregnant concept. When I pat my belly and tell her baby, she pats her belly, Shad's belly, anyone else's belly and says baby. So I think she thinks it's a body part.
Well, my lovely daughter, who still hasn't learned to stay out of the dirt of our indoor plants, has just notified me that I've been blogging too long.
No comments:
Post a Comment