Sunday, June 16, 2013

Little Things

Here's a load of little things I forgot in my last writing.

May I?
Tommy always asks, "May I...?" for everything.  I love it! I love that he's learning correct English. When I say he asks that for everything, I mean EVVVVERYTHING.  Typical snack times sound like this:
Tommy: "Mom, may I have some grapes?"
Me: "Yes, that's a great idea."  So I give him the grapes.
T: "May I eat the grapes?"
Me: "Yes, you may eat the grapes."
After eating the grapes, "May I frow it in de trash?"
"Yes, you may throw the stem in the trash."

Hose
When we pulled in the driveway returning from Hays last weekend, we saw a new hose with a card propped up against our garage door.  My first thought was, "Who did I tell that I ruined my hose?"  I had forgotten to turn the water off one day after watering the garden and my hose sprang a leak.  When I read the card, it turned out to be from my neighbor Jaynell.  She had noticed that we had some tall milk thistles and, after mowing her lawn on her riding mower, decided to come mow ours.  On her first trip around the yard, she didn't see the hose out and clipped it.  Ripped it to shreds.  She felt awful and wanted to reassure us that her intentions were good.  She couldn't even get the shredded hose out of the the blades herself, and had to call another neighbor over to help!  We love Jaynell dearly and are so glad we have good relationships with our neighbors that they are willing to help us.  We feel the same way about her.  In fact, we had already bought a new door handle for her screen door to surprise her.  Every time we go over to visit her, she's got her screen door tied shut with a shoe string, and tells us that her son keeps promising to fix the handle.  Shad decided he'd just do it for her.

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think means."
Ridiculous. Tommy keeps calling food "ridiculous."  I'm not entirely sure what he's trying to mean by that, because he uses it when he's happy and enjoying his food.  I have two conjectures for this: He's either saying that his food is so good, it's ridiculous; or he's meaning to say "delicious."

Manners
Tommy: "Katie! You're booful!"
Katie: "Tank you, Tommy!"

Thor, the God of Thunder
So...I may or may not be guilty of transgressing the first Commandment in my parenting. "Thou shalt have no other gods before me."  Well, in teaching Tommy not to be afraid of thunder, I told him that Thor makes the thunder--isn't that so nice of him?  So Tommy gets excited over thunder, and has even since forgotten that I gave Thor the credit for it.  I got a great laugh at Shad today though, with what he told Tom about thunder.  I forget what Tom was doing, but it was driving us nuts when some quiet thunder rumbled and Shad said, "Hear the thunder, Tom? That's Jesus yellin at you."  Hahahaha!

I Love to See the Temple
Last Sunday, with just a couple minutes left before the closing hymn in sacrament meeting, Tom finally had to break his restlessness and sing "I Love to See the Temple" as loud as he could.  We had some people up on the stand laughing with us.

Lavendar oil
It's a lifesaver.  Known for it's calming and relaxing qualities, rubbing a couple drops of lavendar oil on the bottom of your feet at night will send you off to a sound sleep.  I can't attest that it helps you fall asleep better, but once there, you are ASLEEP! If it's enough to knock out an 8 month pregnant woman and keep her from tossing and turning all night, it's a friend of mine.  If it's enough to knock out a 3 week old baby for 5-6 hours straight, followed by another 3, and yet another 3 hours, it's a friend of mine.

And just a little thought from today...

With great spandex...
comes great responsibility.  The first counselor in the bishopric was speaking at the end of sacrament meeting today and noticed that people were drifting off.  So he pulled in a Spider-Man quote to try and wake us up, "With great power, comes great responsibility."  It worked, and then Shad whispered to me, "One could also say, 'With great spandex, comes great responsibility.'"

No comments:

Post a Comment