Friday, October 21, 2016

Happy Birthday, Thora!

I grew up reading a poem in a nursery rhyme book: 

There was a little girl 
who had a little curl,
right in the middle of her forehead.
When she was good,
she was very good, indeed.
When she was bad, she was horrid.
--Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

That's been on my mind for the past several weeks, wondering if someone knew my daughter when they wrote it. Little miss curly brown can be the sweetest thing ever, but this Goddess of Thunder sure knows how to throw a good fit! At least she's past the days when I equated her with terrorism...

Thora is a fiesty, opinionated little creature. She wears her emotions on her sleeve. She may get upset about things, but at least we know she's upset and she works through it. She's pretty reasonable and can be talked through whatever emotions she is expressing. She does things in her own time. Crawling at 11 months, teeth at 14 months, walking at 15 months. In June we started feeling concerned about her lack of language development. In August she finally started saying a few words, and it exploded over night. She just wanted to make sure she was fluent before she spoke, that's all. She is the most polite little lady, grateful for food, gifts, and compliments. She threw a fit one day because I offered her food she didn't want. I simply told her, "No, you don't scream at me like that. You say, 'No, thank you.'" And from that one moment of teaching, that's been her phrase. I hear it all day long and it is music to my ears! She also says, "Pees be dismissed?" at the end of meals. She loves piggyback rides, "Sammers" (Samson), Tinkerbell, Strawberry Shortcake, bows, dress up, dancing, airplanes, motorcycles, and the moon. She loves saying her own prayers every night and gleefully asks me to help her as she kneels down and holds my hands.


Little diva Thora got all dressed up with her bows, necklace and Cinderella shoes. Yes, I know they're Ariel shoes, but don't tell her that. She insists they are "Ci-rewa."


Hooray! It's my day!


There was a song back in the 90s..."It's my party and I'll cry if I want to! Cry if I want to, cry if I want to. You would cry to if it happened to you!" We told her she could get her presents.




When she got over her fit of defiance, she was thrilled to get new fridge magnets. The electronic device broke on our last set. She wore it out. You know how sometimes you feel like you didn't get enough presents? I really only got her two things, then grabbed a couple previously confiscated toys to give back. And then you give the gifts and the kid only cares about one thing and you kick yourself for having wasted effort on the others? Yeah. This girl only cared about the magnets. Not the necklace, doll, Minnie Mouse or Lincoln Logs.


You wanna open another present? "Um, no, thank you!"



Blowing out candles.



Happy birthday to Thora!

No comments:

Post a Comment