Sunday, November 12, 2017

Colorado Capitol Building

After exploring the streets of downtown Denver, we made our way to the Capitol, which thankfully opened an hour sooner than I expected. It opened at 9:00, despite the website saying 10:00.


One mile above sea level. I love my goofs.
{Tommy, Katie, and Dancy}


Inside the building: A quilt depicting notable women of Colorado's history.


The dome


The grand staircase. The kids thought that was cool because it was like a palace. The lower wall is made of rose onyx. Our tour guide made sure to point out all the animals and people that she's seen in the marbling. Because apparently that's significant to point out. We, the tour group, also had a huge debate here about why there would be three different measured points for 1 mile above sea level. Guys, sea level changes. This isn't that complex.


I pity the people who have to polish the brass daily.


Murals depicting various parts of Colorado history.




Molly Brown!


Beautiful architecture.






Katie, naturally, got all excited over the chandelier!!


This is where either the senate or the legislature meet. I forget.


Another congressional room with another chandelier. This room had a lot of tiling added to the walls to give better acoustics for speakers to be heard throughout.


Very ornate.




I had a hard time keeping a straight face when we walked into this room. I just heard Theodore "Ted" Logan saying, "Welcome to the Hall of Presidents!" as he fanned his arm out.




And then we trekked up all the stairs to the balcony outside.


{Dancy, Megan, Katie}


Someone took a picture of us with the background, but Dancy didn't like that I had her sitting on the railing.


So I sat down and we finally got a good picture of all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment