Oh, the joys of having a summer birthday! Tommy's birthday and party with friends always stress me out because we're either out of town right before it or right after. And it's always hard to get a well-attended party because friends travel, too. This year, we were travelling ON Tommy's birthday.
Shad took an extra hour off for lunch that day so that he'd have time to take Tommy out to lunch for his birthday. Tommy opened presents, then we loaded up in the van and I drove to Colorado with the kids.
Look at Shad and Tommy matching!
{Tommy, Thora, Katie, Dancy, Samson}
The girls helped me wrap the presents while Tommy was out to lunch. Blankets and towels are the wrapping style Shad started with his family years and years ago. The only break out the real stuff for Christmas.
Tommy's interest in outdoor activities has been growing and growing, so we gave him a camping chair, fishing pole and kit, water bottle with a carrying strap, pocket knife, and lantern set. Our gun store friend, Shane, gave Tommy an old compass.
When we arrived at Grandma's house (my mom), Thora was disappointed that Lori (my sister) was at work and not there to pamper her, but she made use of the time by basking in Lori's room.
And squealing on Lori's bed with all things fuzzy and fluffy and unicorn.
Samson played in the cat's water bowl. Note that Katie is wearing her Addy hat that was explained in my previous post.
{Samson and Katie}
In the afternoon while the little two napped, I took the big 3 to visit our favorite funeral director! My sister Becky was having a slow day at Newcomer Funeral home. She showed us the planning room and we learned about caskets, headstones, and options for ashes. Becky also fingerprinted the kids!
{Tommy, Dancy, Becky, Katie with the crazy eyes}
My brother Jake and his wife Amber came over to hang out. Jake and I were talking about Lego minifigs, so that's what he was doing on his phone.

I was supposed to make Tommy a Lego minifig cake with the silicon pan we bought at the Lego store in St. Louis in April, but I forgot to pack it. Luckily, I remembered that I had this Lego brick cake pin on Pinterest, so I was still able to get Tommy some Lego-ness on his birthday. Amber helped assemble everything. We didn't bother frosting the sides. I'm not a masochist.

Tommy was pretty happy with the alternate cake.
Shad's sister Ruth came to visit, too! Her boyfriend Coltyn came, too, exhausted and falling asleep everywhere after a long day of roofing.
One good thing about frosting in a can: dairy-free! Sam was allowed to eat it!
No comments:
Post a Comment