Last I wrote, I left off with our departure from Kansas. I'll continue with establishing life in Colorado.
Oh, happy morning seeing mountains! Samson and Thora are the ones who comment on this the most. They both love seeing their mountains. Even now, three months later, they adore their mountains daily. I love this window, so there'll be plenty of pictures from it.
The original plan for the move in was that Shad's mom, Pris, would take the kids to the park across the street so they'd be out of the way. But then it was getting to nap time and rain was expected, so they hung out on the couch watching movies. Exhaustion prevailed over Katie.
Everything went well with moving in. Shad arrived with the truck almost 2 hours sooner than I expected him to. Dan, Tabitha, Vern, Levi, and Ruth all came to help and arrived before people from church were scheduled to, so we started unloading early. Then when people from church started showing up, they were all energized and ready to go. We got the truck unloaded and hauled out to return before the rain started falling. We'd have been working through the rain if we didn't get that earlier start.
It took a week or so to fully get used to the new time zone. The kids were running around wild and crazy and I told them all to sit down and be quiet. Tommy grabbed a book, the rest fell asleep.

Our master bedroom has a double door. When Shad and I would shut ourselves away, Samson would get his blankie, lie down outside our door, and softly kick against the door. He kept this up for a couple weeks.

Unpacking boxes made everything so much more exciting to the kids. Thora was thrilled every time something of hers came out of a box. "Oh, Mom! You packed my Lori! I knew you packed her!"

As a boy with three older sisters who all get their hair fixed in the morning, Samson doesn't like to be left out. He picked out each hair clip and told me to put them in.

Stylin'!

Because going for walks with badminton racquets and walking on retaining walls is fun.

Needing to wake sleeping babes still tugs at my heartstrings. Every time.
I forget what day this was, but it was a warm day in October when loads of other people were out, so we didn't quite make it to Garden of the Gods with the long line of cars. Instead, we pulled off early and walked this trail across the road.

We enjoy seeing different wild plants. I still need to find us a good Colorado flora and fauna book. Hit me up with any recommendations.
I had to convince some of the kids to touch this plant, but it was soft and fuzzy!
Garden of the Gods from a distance.

This boy is studly, wearing my coral flats and pulling them off with his outfit.

First snow in October. Again, my beloved window.

Ah, Colorado sunsets!

Not pictured: all the change-of-state bureaucracy. Driver's licenses, license plates, Medicaid during unemployment, probably more that I'm forgetting. But on a more exciting note, I started getting editing jobs. This was not something we were planning on, and I haven't worked in such a long time, so starting part-time editing on a spur-of-the-moment whim while in the midst of settling from a move was chaotic, to say the least. But so far, I've picked up an independent author's novel, a game rulebook for a board game publisher, and a personal statement essay for a PhD application. Still waiting to get the rulebook back for my second pass, and will start the second pass of the novel next week.

What a wonderful chapter to your blog. Love the kids, Shad and you.
ReplyDeleteThanks! We love you, too!
DeleteI love that view from the window too! Glad your settling in!
ReplyDelete