I have an intense need to see new places and do new things. It's woven into my very existence. I have been wanting to see New Mexico for 10 years. I don't know what exactly set that in my mind, but Uncle Tyler, it wasn't Newsies. I just remember standing out on playground duty at Village East Elementary School and thinking how I just wanted to go see New Mexico. Last year when I was planning a spring vacation for my family, I was debating between St. Louis and Santa Fe. I consulted with my aforementioned uncle who grew up in Santa Fe and his advice was, "Don't." When I pressed him for elaboration, he said, "Everything is breakable. Don't go there with kids." So we didn't. This year when my yearning for Santa Fe sprang up again (and google maps said it was only a five-hour drive), I didn't ask Tyler's opinion. I did a lot of research and consulted with my nomad friend, Chandell, who grew up just north of Albuquerque. She and I came up with a better plan than "don't." Here it is:
Oh, my goodness, the drive south is beautiful! We left around 5 pm Thursday when Shad got home from work. I decided that since it's only a five-hour drive we could handle a late arrival at our hotel in the interest of having a full three days there. This was over Memorial Day weekend, by the way, and Shad had the Friday off as well. Oh, and I was able to get the hotel for free with saved credit card reward points. Pretty sweet deal for a weekend getaway!
For road trips, we like to play movies for the kids on our built-in dvd player, and then I read books aloud for Shad and I. For this road trip, we worked on The Hunger Games!
First time to New Mexico! I've only been fantasizing about this state for 10 years!
We hit a bird and it got pretty stuck in there. Saw it the morning after.
Friday morning we drove downtown to the plaza. It was like we had traveled to a different country! That makes sense, knowing that the US stole New Mexico from Mexico in the 1800s.
{Tommy, Samson, Katie, Dancy}
This street fiddler totally played up the 19th century setting.
I couldn't place her first song, but just figured out that it's from Ken Burns: The Civil War.
Across the street from the plaza lies the Palace of the Governors where Native American artisans come to sell their wares. I encouraged the kids to ask questions and learn about their creation processes. This woman makes sand art. She explained to us that they use no dyes, but find the colored sandstone out in the desert and grind it into sand to make their art. We bought a turquoise kokopelli from her.
So many creations! Sand art, jewelry, leather belts and wallets, pottery, clay figures, more that I'm forgetting.
I love this plaque! When everyone wants to tear down everything offensive, I think it's important to keep things recorded as they were. Even if it's offensive and prejudiced, it's important to know that people can be wrong and they can change.
Dancers in the plaza
After the plaza, we found some amazing street food, then went to San Miguel Church, which is the oldest church built in America (Mexico at the time).
{Me, Thora, Tommy, Katie, Samson, Dancy, Shad}
Tommy and I wished we could see and touch the original steps but that's exactly why they're protected!
The picture below explains this deerskin tapestry.
After the church, we went back to our hotel to let Samson and Thora nap. I took Dancy, Katie, and Tommy to the pool and Shad read his D&D book.
We found a delicious local Salvadoran restaurant for dinner where we experienced pupusas. Our lives will never be the same. And then we went to Meow Wolf. And our lives will never be the same.






























No comments:
Post a Comment