Monday, July 21, 2014

Tom's Birthday

Tom had a wonderful birthday morning. He woke up at whatever time he woke up, and came down to the living room couch to fall back asleep. He's been doing that lately.



He was delighted with the cereal I offered for breakfast, and then we picked mulberries while waiting for a train to pass through town (we heard it's whistle for 15 minutes going back and forth by the iron company before it was finally ready to move on out). This is what mulberry season looks like:



 
He was also thrilled with my need to do laundry and packing for our trip the next day, and thought those were wonderful birthday activities. Weirdo:)
 
Tommy requested to eat lunch with Shad. He asked for Ramen and quesadillas for his birthday lunch, so we VISITED Shad for lunch, and then ate our lunch at home. We went to the library at 2 for their afternoon reading time. Typically in the summer, they have the preschoolers in the morning at 10:30, and the school-aged kids in the afternoon. We joined the afternoon group that day because it was a volcano theme. Tom and Katie did very well listening and being involved, and, of course, they absolutely loved it. In case I've neglected to write about it, volcanoes is a bit of an obsession right now. It spawned from a Magic School Bus Volcano game on the kid computers at the library, and has snowballed from there with the radio song "Pompeii;" the necessary purchase of a few volcano and Pompeii books from Amazon because our library's collection is completely inadequate; baking soda and vinegar experiments; and watching the movie Pompeii so they could see the development of the explosion. Now I need to find the youtube volcano clips used by the teacher at the library...


Given that Tommy's birthday was the day before we were leaving for 10 days, I had absolutely no plans to have a party for him or anything. Later, sure. But not on his birthday. Tom had other plans. He MADE other plans. He invited our friends, Brittany and Ryan, over, so I had to throw a little something together. He also invited a boy, Jeremy, that he met at the pool and park the week before, but Jeremy was only visiting from Bennett, Colorado and wouldn't be here for Tom's birthday. Anyway, I persuaded Tom to choose a dessert other than cake, since we couldn't eat it all before leaving in the morning. After thinking over his brownie and cookie choices, he chose brownies and got to pick whichever one he wanted from the baking aisle. He was very happy with his chocolate chunk brownies, and Katie suggested sprinkles on top. Good call, li'l sis.

The Birthday Balloon Dance:
 

 
Tommy got an exciting stand-up Spider-Man card from Grandma and Grandpa (my parents)

 
and an awesome dinosaur and volcano card from Nana and Bumpa (Shad's parents).

 
Katie gave him goggles (I asked them if they wanted to do swimming lessons and they said I could be their teacher); Dancy gave him bubble bath; Nana gave him a hand-me-down computer for homeschooling; Shad and I gave him a Randy DVD (google Randy's Music Jam), Ice Age, and a puzzle he picked out from the thrift store.

 
Brittany and Ryan are awesome at picking gifts. They gave Tommy an Avengers punching bag, t-shirt, and a water gun.

 
Punching bag is awesome!!



Birthday brownies! Oh, they were so gooey and delicious!


Tom had to try on his swim goggles.

 
Fear this kid.

 
I just can't take him seriously in those goggles:)

 
We went outside to test out the water gun. It's got good range on it, and is perfect for a little person who doesn't have the strength or coordination to carry and operate a super-soaker.


 
Brownie monster!

 
Katie tried shooting Ryan with her spray bottle.

 
Tom loved shooting Brittany because she reacted so well:) Dancy is best friends with her, and sympathized by calling out Brittany's name and holding her arms out to be held.

 
All ready in clean clothes to wake up and leave for Nauvoo in the morning.

 
Tommy was awake later than I know that night. He was still awake at 11 when I went in to open their windows. "Mom, is it still my birthday?!" "Yes, Tommy. Try to sleep." "I'm so happy it's still my birthday!" And still, Shad and I were woken up before 7 the following morning with the words, "Wake up! It's time to go to Nauvoo!"

No comments:

Post a Comment